Marquette, LaSalle, Cadillac, and Richard
Rights and Restrictions:
JULIUS MELCHERS (1829–1908)Antoine de la Mothe Cadillac, Rene Robert Sieur de LaSalle Pere Jacques Marquette, Father Gabriel Richard, c. 1885, Carved sandstoneGift of Detroit Common Council
Originally gracing the facade of the 1871 Detroit City Hall, when the building
was demolished in 1960 the sculptures were saved and in 1973 placed in their present site. Julius Melchers immigrated from Germany to Detroit in 1855. For nearly 40 years Melchers created architectural sculptures and carvings in and around the city.